Sunday, January 1, 2006

Decisions to make and other ramblings....

We took the boys to the opthalmologist on Thursday. Collin and Matthew, that is. Matthew is pretty stable, and his rx remains the same. He goes back, probably in February, to have the thickness of his cornea measured and his pressure checked again. The pressure in the right eye is high, but last year it was ok for the thickness of the cornea. So, since we are new here, this will be the baseline.
Collin's rx continues to change. The dr wants us to consider contacts. We had no idea that his world appears tiny to him, and this kills us. She said that just the couple inches between his eyes and glasses makes it that way, and with contacts he may see normally. Right now, with glasses he see 20/60. Not bad, but not great either. We just don't know how we would deal with contacts. I mean, Matthew wore a contact when he was an infant, and that was tough. He couldn't use his hands to stop us from putting it in though. I think that once he realizes it is better he wouldn't have a problem wearing them, but getting him to take them out may be tricky. He hates to not have his glasses on. It is like he goes totally blind without them. As a result, he goes to sleep with them on and they are the first thing he grabs when he wakes up. How I wish I had a magic wand to make his eyes all better.
In totally other news, this weekend we went to a new church. We really liked the pastor and the service, BUT there were very few people there. And there were no kids besides ours and one other. The pastor said they always have people visit with kids, but when they see there are no others, they leave. Matt says that someone has to stay. So will that be us? We don't know. The kids will continue to go to Adventurers at the old church, but there have been some major issues that we aren't sure we want to deal with there. So, we'll see. Lots of prayer needs to go into it. Interestingly, the pastor at this church is the father of one of our friends from Idaho. So maybe that is why we liked him so much! He was just so real. It was refreshing. I just wish there were more people there.
I haven't decided if the kids are doing school tomorrow. The schools here don't resume until Wednesday, and it is supposed to be 85 tomorrow. The kids were outside all day and just had a really nice day. Matt is off tomorrow too, so we may just start up on Tuesday. I made them do school the week before Christmas while everyone else was home, so maybe we will just take off.
I have all these thoughts rolling around in my head, and I might as well just get them down.
For quite awhile, Matt and I have tossed around the idea of another child. While we both love the idea of more kids, Matt isn't sure he wants to brave it. He would adopt in a heartbeat, but just doesn't want to go through our past again. I don't blame him, it just isn't as big an issue to me.
So anyway, everyone around us is either pregnant, or just gave birth, and I'll admit, I'm a wee bit envious. OK a lot bit. This morning Matt told me to just be happy with what we have and not be selfish. That sounds really harsh, but it wasn't, that is just a long conversation summed up.
Tonight, I was talking with our neighbor who is trying to decide if she wants another kid. She is concerned that if she has three, then she won't have money for things like lasik, or travel, or to play.
I told Matt that there are different types of selfish. And I'm not saying that it isn't ok to want the material things, if that's your priority, great, but it isn't ours. So maybe it is ok to be selfish in wanting more kids.
None of that makes sense, but it does in my head. I don't see it as selfish. I see it as adding to the world's great people. :-)
And since I have totally confused everyone with my messed up logic, let me end with telling you we watched Crash tonight. It was the worst movie I've seen in a long time. I thought I had heard good things about it, but it was terrible. The whole thing was racist, and filthy. I don't recommend it at all.
We watched Monster in Law on New Years Eve, and it was pretty cute and funny. I recommend it!

2 comments:

Crayonsetc said...

Believe it or not, I actually followed all that logic :)

Didn't know anything about Crash, so thanks for the heads up... and I thought Monster in law was great!!!

I will keep you in my prayers for the right decision for all of you. And hey, if you decide to adopt... you could get a girl :)

Anonymous said...

I think you should take Monday off from school and enjoy being a family! All the schools here start Tuesday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...